Homeopathy shines in the treatment of concussions, also called mild Traumatic Brain Injuries (mTBI). This is especially wonderful since there is no allopathic treatment in the immediate aftermath of a mTBI other than rest. I have treated enough concussions now that I have a protocol I want to share with you. All the people I have treated within 48 hours of their concussion have healed quickly and completely. Here is the protocol:
– If no loss of consciousness: Arnica 200C every 1-2 hours for the first 24 hours, every 3-4 hours for the second 24 hours. 3-4 times a day for the next 4-5 days.
– If there is loss of consciousness: Arnica 1M every 1-2 hours for the first 24 hours, every 3-4 hours for the second 24 hours. 3-4 times a day for the next 2 days. 2 times a day for the next 2-3 days.
If symptoms persist past the first week (headache, dizziness, confusion, lack of balance, change of mood, or other symptoms), then a second remedy may be needed for healing to progress.
Other important things to do are:
- Make sure they eat at least 50% of normal calories in the first 24 hours after the concussion. Protein is especially important.
- Give lots of high anti-oxidant foods, especially dark berries like blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries for the next two weeks
- Take 4 gms of high quality fish oil for the first 2 weeks post-concussion, then 2 gms a day for the next 2 months.
Concussion is a very serious injury, and anyone who suspects a mTBI should be immediately seen by a physician and followed during the recovery period.